Popup Content
UGC Highlander?
#1: UGC Highlander?
Thu May 02, 2013 8:40 pm 
The Unknown
Level 2
Total Points: 30 points
Next Level: 50 points
I've been thinking about joining the Highlander competition this June and I don't have enough people to create a team. Anybody want to join?
HEY TURNER!

#2: Re: UGC Highlander?
Thu May 02, 2013 9:56 pm 
Poptart Bandit
Level 7
Total Points: 1197 points
Next Level: 1200 points

#3: Re: UGC Highlander?
Thu May 02, 2013 10:09 pm 
The Hero of Chaos
Level 5
Total Points: 377 points
Next Level: 400 points
I'm taking that as a hell no then, Kairen XD

I dont bother with competitive playing, I wont do it ever
As long as you don't let something you love die,
You'll never have to say a final goodbye.
~Tommy "Havik" Souvannasinh

#4: Re: UGC Highlander?
Thu May 02, 2013 10:54 pm 
The Boy Who Cried Pan
Level 6
Total Points: 580 points
Next Level: 800 points
You should talk with grambottle, he's our resident highlander man.
"don't stick your dick in that"
-Numbers 2012

" Women are like Religion " - 105137.2555 (2017)

Whadur - numeros 2018

#5: Re: UGC Highlander?
Fri May 03, 2013 11:28 am 
The Professor
Level 7
Total Points: 974 points
I'll be sitting out of the summer season. The class I'm teaching in the summer ends at 8pm on Mondays and Wednesdays and I don't want that extra pressure to head home quickly to make match night.

Fall season? Maybe.
Nobody counts to 50 on my watch!

I like to build stacks.

#6: Re: UGC Highlander?
Sat May 04, 2013 12:54 am 
Can't Only Snipe Six
Level 8
Total Points: 1369 points
Next Level: 1600 points
(Kairen Bellatorus)

^

I prefer casual
Slusho Posters Deviant Art
SlushoTube

#7: Re: UGC Highlander?
Sat May 04, 2013 1:03 am 
The Unknown
Level 4
Total Points: 105 points
Next Level: 200 points
(Slusho)
(Kairen Bellatorus)

^

I prefer casual

:(
You could piss off so many people with your huntsman.
True Fact: Zombies love waffles.

Add me on steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/yaywaffles

#8: Re: UGC Highlander?
Sat May 04, 2013 2:19 am 
Madlord
Level 9
Total Points: 1781 points
Next Level: 2000 points
Real talk

Slusho could do really well on a competent HL team. Maybe Silver or even plat. The problem is that most people here are Iron/Steel level, and they are the ones that want to take charge and play on a team. Without direction and support, the best players are relegated to being shit on.

People around here like to think that they are good at TF2, when in reality they are pubstars at best, and choke under the competitive stress. There is a massive difference between running a pub, and working with a team to accompish a goal.

We've had multiple teams, but the majority of people don't know hopw to cope with being told what to do when and where. That's a problem. Egos definitely get in the way. That causes losses and breaks up teams real quick.

If I had to pick the best 9 people from the community and put them onto a team, it would fail. If I could pick the 9 best people to work as a team and make something happen? We'd strive. Unfortunately, most people don't want that, so the teams here are pushed to mediocre steel status, with egos and attitudes winning over skill and teamwork.
Are the servers fucked? For the love of god, let me know.
I can probably fix them. Maybe.
In fact, I might already know they are fucked.

#9: Re: UGC Highlander?
Sat May 04, 2013 10:49 am 
Dr. Neckbeard
Level 7
Total Points: 1172 points
(Anthal)
Real talk

Slusho could do really well on a competent HL team. Maybe Silver or even plat. The problem is that most people here are Iron/Steel level, and they are the ones that want to take charge and play on a team. Without direction and support, the best players are relegated to being shit on.

People around here like to think that they are good at TF2, when in reality they are pubstars at best, and choke under the competitive stress. There is a massive difference between running a pub, and working with a team to accompish a goal.

We've had multiple teams, but the majority of people don't know hopw to cope with being told what to do when and where. That's a problem. Egos definitely get in the way. That causes losses and breaks up teams real quick.

If I had to pick the best 9 people from the community and put them onto a team, it would fail. If I could pick the 9 best people to work as a team and make something happen? We'd strive. Unfortunately, most people don't want that, so the teams here are pushed to mediocre steel status, with egos and attitudes winning over skill and teamwork.

tl;dr Anthal and I couldn't carry hard enough.

</ego>
:3

January 21st, 2012 - The Day I Met Fanatic. Never forget.
Battle buddies :3

#10: Re: UGC Highlander?
Sat May 04, 2013 12:41 pm 
The Professor
Level 7
Total Points: 974 points
(Anthal)

We've had multiple teams, but the majority of people don't know how to cope with being told what to do when and where. That's a problem. Egos definitely get in the way. That causes losses and breaks up teams real quick.

Thinking back to our Season 8 team (gonna ignore Season 6 lol), there wasn't a whole lot for egos on that team, though they did exist. Personally I thought that crew was great and, until the end, we got along relatively well. That said, there were *some* that seemed immune to criticism, and that definitely didn't help, but egos weren't a huge problem overall.

The other things that held us back were drive and talent development. We had good players but we didn't refine them well enough and they weren't driven enough to take us to the top. Towards the end of the season, people got drained of the competitive routine. At the same time, I didn't ask for too much drive in Season 8 - I asked us to have fun, and to turn up the heat in Season 9. We were dealing with a decent amount of fresh meat in Season 8, so I figured it wasn't a season for us to be the top of anything (although if we made upper-tier playoffs I think we would have turned up the heat then). I wanted them to have experience and know what's coming before asking for more of their time and intensity. Given how vibrant the community was back then, I also wanted to give more people their taste of the comp experience. It was a somewhat casual team, and that wasn't a secret.

Unfortunately, when I made the call internally to the team to step up for a more intense Season 9, we didn't get the buy-in I was hoping for (again, the drain) and thus we folded. I played on a Silver team in HL for Season 9. A lot of them were a good crew but egos got more in the way than I've seen before, and we lost a lot of important moments because of that.

All that said, I would agree with Anthal in saying that a large skill gap likely exists right now, and that those less experienced would not mesh well with those of us who are. That said, Season 10 (Summer 2013) is a great place to get that started, so I would encourage those who want to play to gather a team and sign up for Steel.
Nobody counts to 50 on my watch!

I like to build stacks.

#11: Re: UGC Highlander?
Sat May 04, 2013 4:01 pm 
The Fucking Secretary
Level 7
Total Points: 869 points
This was a topic asking if anybody wanted to JOIN a highlander team with this guy, dinkleberg. not to bitch about previous seasons, difference in skill gap, nor do i even see the point of replying to this thread to say why they *won't* join this particular team, except for maybe gram since somebody else mentioned his name and possible interest.

either way, good luck dink, i hope you manage to find that team of yours. i believe some leagues also allow you to sign yourself up as a looking for team type of player, if you can't find a team. idk if this one does it, but it's a pretty nice option if you are unable to find a team from here or another forum.
Survival of the fittest. Because it wasn't meant to be called Whoever Can Be Drug Across The Finish Line By Somebody Else.

#12: Re: UGC Highlander?
Wed May 08, 2013 5:44 pm 
The Unknown
Level 2
Total Points: 42 points
Dinkle, what classes do you still need? Depending on the class spots open, I just might join you :3. Also, resend your friend invite :)
Life doesn't favor weakness, so why should I?
Need Help? Contact me!
Skype- sdstahlman1574
Teamspeak- sdstahlman
PSN- sdstahlman
Steam: sdstahlman

#13: Re: UGC Highlander?
Mon May 13, 2013 1:43 pm 
The Unknown
Level 2
Total Points: 39 points
If you're not having fun playing on a team, then you're not playing right. None of us here have what it takes to become a truly competitive team because it requires hours of practice with coordination, alot of us don't have time for it. The main caller should be the medic, if you argue with the caller, you get booted, simple. That doesn't mean the caller is making the best call, but you have to live with it and play your part right and adjust. I hope you find a team dinkle that suits your play style.

Search for:
Jump to: