Popup Content
SteamPipe coming out on the 30th
#1: SteamPipe coming out on the 30th
Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 pm 
The Silent
Level 9
Total Points: 1910 points
Next Level: 2000 points
You should know by now that SteamPipe is rolling out for TF2. Valve has already converted all the other HL2 games, and TF2 is scheduled to be converted ON THE 30TH. Basically, for players, you just get faster load times, no more validation every time ( :D ), and ~1GB less space taken up by TF2.

Now to the important part:
Valve also released a TF2 TF2 Beta a few days ago (no, NOT the Team Fortress 2 Beta) for users to try out Steampipe. As of today, PLAYERS IN THE STEAMPIPE BETA CAN ALSO CONNECT TO NON-STEAMPIPE SERVERS, AND VICE VERSA. I highly suggest updating now so that you won't need to do it later, when everybody is updating, and you'll get the benefits earlier :). Just right-click on Team Fortress 2 in Steam, hit Properties, go to the Beta tab, and select SteamPipe and click OK. Attempt to run TF2. TF2 will then say it needs to convert to a new, more efficient format, blablabla. Just hit Ok and whatever and prepare to wait for a long time.
~Wliu

#2: Re: SteamPipe coming out on the 30th
Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am 
The Professor
Level 7
Total Points: 974 points
Next Level: 1200 points
Good idea on getting this done ahead of time. I'll be sure to do that tomorrow.
Nobody counts to 50 on my watch!

I like to build stacks.

#3: Re: SteamPipe coming out on the 30th
Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:07 am 
Madlord
Level 9
Total Points: 1781 points
This doesn't require any file downloads, so there won't be any delays if you wait.

Custom sounds (mainly hitsounds) won't work on sv_pure 1 servers that do have it whitelisted.
Back up your configs/custom sounds and models/HUD/etc before converting. They go into a new folder after the conversion.

Put all custom shit into:
steam/username/common/team fortress 2/tf/custom/any_folder_name/

You can have your HUD in custom/hud/ and your hitsound in custom/hitsound/ if you want to keep it organized.
Are the servers fucked? For the love of god, let me know.
I can probably fix them. Maybe.
In fact, I might already know they are fucked.

#4: Re: SteamPipe coming out on the 30th
Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:26 pm 
The Silent
Level 9
About the file downloads: You're probably right, Anthal :)
But still, I suggest doing it when you're definitely not going to play TF2 (like 7 in the morning?), so it'll be converted the next morning ;)
~Wliu

#5: Re: SteamPipe coming out on the 30th
Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:51 pm 
The Unknown
Level 3
Total Points: 86 points
Next Level: 100 points
Seems like a huge improvement! Also, do you know if we're all going to have to re-download all of our mods and maps?

#6: Re: SteamPipe coming out on the 30th
Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:58 pm 
The Noseless One
Level 6
Total Points: 499 points
Next Level: 800 points
(Old Man Jenkins)
Seems like a huge improvement! Also, do you know if we're all going to have to re-download all of our mods and maps?

In a way yes, but it will be through me and Wliu repacking stuff now that will make it easier for you guys.
The Silent Assassin
Tumblr: http://lawdvawldawmawrt.tumblr.com/

#7: Re: SteamPipe coming out on the 30th
Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 pm 
The Silent
Level 9
(Old Man Jenkins)

Based on my experiences with conversion, no. But then again, I was tabbed out while connecting to the FF2 server.
~Wliu

Search for:
Jump to: