Popup Content
Ask me about hats.
#1: Ask me about hats.
Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:53 pm 
The Unknown
Level 4
Total Points: 102 points
Next Level: 200 points
I pretty much end up answering everyone's questions on hats on my steam friends list, so I might as well do it here as well.

I have a lot of hats, as you probably have seen. If you haven't seen yet, here is the collection in all its glory:

I'm not a big time trader that trades for profit, but by necessity I know enough about market prices to fuel my purchasing habits (I don't like overpaying for hats), and by exposure know enough about the market I can probably give you decent advice.

I also know how the effects stack and what combinations work well together (and don't work so well), as almost all of my hats are used in, or are going to be used in, a triple effect stack.

Sets I've completed are:

Planets Fez / Beams Phantom / Moon Phantom (Solar System)

Blizzard Gatsby / Steaming Beak / Bubbling Beak (Light)

Moon Dr's Sack / Smoking Beak / Ghosts Beak (Darkness)

Ghosts Ze Goggles / Ghosts Beak / Ghosts Beak (Ghostbusters Themed Triple Ghosts)

N&B Noble / Smoking Brainiac / Orbitting Fire Brainiac (Foundry: Smoke, Fire, and Steel)

C. Bubbles Hound Dog / P. Fetti Luchadore / Planets Luchadore (Random effects I liked)

Planets One Man Army / Planets Luchadore / Planets Luchadore (Triple Planets)
I like hats.

#2: Re: Ask me about hats.
Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:23 pm 
Indubitable Apathy
Level 6
Total Points: 593 points
Next Level: 800 points
Do you collect the planets? I don't know why people don't like them, it's an awesome effect.
Bro.
Fight me.

#3: Re: Ask me about hats.
Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:25 pm 
The Unknown
Level 6
Total Points: 430 points
Do you know a way i could go from a bills to scorching flames soldier's stash? :3

#4: Re: Ask me about hats.
Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:27 pm 
Madlord
Level 9
Total Points: 1781 points
Next Level: 2000 points
Trade up, be patient, and be awesome at haggling.
Are the servers fucked? For the love of god, let me know.
I can probably fix them. Maybe.
In fact, I might already know they are fucked.

#5: Re: Ask me about hats.
Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:29 pm 
The King of Space
Level 10
Total Points: 2874 points
Next Level: 9999 points
That is quite a few hats. Now you just need to find a way to wear them all simultaneously as a towering pile of unusual hats. P:

#6: Re: Ask me about hats.
Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:34 pm 
The Unknown
Level 6
Trading up? Patience? Good at haggling? FUUUUUUUU-

#7: Re: Ask me about hats.
Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm 
The Unknown
Level 5
Total Points: 271 points
Next Level: 400 points
Raxyn, also stick to people you know and trust early on, kind of as an insurance policy of sorts, nobody wants to be "that D** who didn't hold up his end of the bargain..."... just sayin'
My brother wants to make KITTENS!

#8: Re: Ask me about hats.
Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:31 pm 
The Unknown
Level 4
Do you collect the planets? I don't know why people don't like them, it's an awesome effect.

It was more a matter of convenience, I happened upon a one man army with planets at a reasonable price, and having a planets luchadore already I figured I'd just finish off the triple. I don't mind planets though they're pretty decent, and one of the things nice about the revolving effects like planets is that they stack very nicely, you can see the triple effect easily.

Do you know a way i could go from a bills to scorching flames soldier's stash? :3

Mainly trading up, which is very very time costly and not a good idea, IMO, if you don't have an actual job. I trade in WoW gold and find that economy far more profitable than the TF2 economy, where people read a spreadsheet and instantly think they are hat tycoon. As a result, everyone's into your business and it's very hard to turn a buck. I don't recommend it unless you enjoy long hours in trade servers.

That is quite a few hats. Now you just need to find a way to wear them all simultaneously as a towering pile of unusual hats. P:

If they make another misc slot I will simultaneously jump in glee and facepalm at the more money I'm gonna spend.

Raxyn, also stick to people you know and trust early on, kind of as an insurance policy of sorts, nobody wants to be "that D** who didn't hold up his end of the bargain..."... just sayin'

Anyone who rips someone off will invariably be reported on SteamRep. As a trader, or anyone who wants to buy anything, this is absolutely disastrous. Just ask bonerjamz, he got a false tag a long while ago, and the time he had to contest it has expired, so now we can't even loan hats to him anymore lest we get tagged for knowingly trading with a scammer. Keep an eye on who you trade with by looking them up on http://www.steamrep.com
I like hats.

#9: Re: Ask me about hats.
Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:26 pm 
The Unknown
Level 5
Total Points: 230 points
What do you think would be a good effect to go with my Stormy Desert Marauder in case I ever get a unusual Veil?

#10: Re: Ask me about hats.
Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:47 pm 
The Unknown
Level 4
(BobSevenSevens)
What do you think would be a good effect to go with my Stormy Desert Marauder in case I ever get a unusual Veil?

One thing that might be possible is combining storm and moon, but the moon may not be too visible in the middle of the storm, and likely subject to the flickering effect (this happens when you combine certain effects, like steam/smoke, or searing plasma/steam in which one effect flickers in and out of the other one instead of them streamlining). Aside very costly as villain's veils are insanely expensive, and a moon veil, if any of them are kicking around, would be very expensive. The theme you could build with this would be a dark and stormy night (smoke / moon / storm).

More affordably, you could go for a water theme, and combine storm / steam / bubbles. My medic stack of blizzard / steam / bubbles is similar to this (though more colored). This would be your best bet for an affordable theme, as steam and bubbles veils are the cheaper veils you can buy, being around 4-5 buds each.

Color wise, storm goes well with smoke and ghosts, but expect to pay a good amount for a ghosts veil.

From what I've seen from triple storms, they stack side by side and add a good amount of rain, but very expensive on veils.
I like hats.

#11: Re: Ask me about hats.
Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:41 am 
The Unknown
Level 5
Total Points: 230 points
(Sud)
(BobSevenSevens)

One thing that might be possible is combining storm and moon, but the moon may not be too visible in the middle of the storm, and likely subject to the flickering effect (this happens when you combine certain effects, like steam/smoke, or searing plasma/steam in which one effect flickers in and out of the other one instead of them streamlining). Aside very costly as villain's veils are insanely expensive, and a moon veil, if any of them are kicking around, would be very expensive. The theme you could build with this would be a dark and stormy night (smoke / moon / storm).

More affordably, you could go for a water theme, and combine storm / steam / bubbles. My medic stack of blizzard / steam / bubbles is similar to this (though more colored). This would be your best bet for an affordable theme, as steam and bubbles veils are the cheaper veils you can buy, being around 4-5 buds each.

Color wise, storm goes well with smoke and ghosts, but expect to pay a good amount for a ghosts veil.

From what I've seen from triple storms, they stack side by side and add a good amount of rain, but very expensive on veils.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll be having a good summer job, be making about $200 a week, so I can afford to sink some cash into TF2 for unusuals.

#12: Re: Ask me about hats.
Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:08 pm 
The Unknown
Level 2
Total Points: 26 points
Next Level: 50 points
So, don't take this the wrong way, as it usually seems to provoke a lot of strong feelings.

But why do you collect unusual hats? Do you actually wear them? Is it to provoke envy in other players?

I've found that the majority of unusual hats look really shitty, yet a good portion of the community seem to have giant raging boners about them simply because they are rare. Despite a number of the servers I visit apparently having server side unusuals and typically having 1-4 unusual hat players on at a time.

#13: Re: Ask me about hats.
Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:02 pm 
The Unknown
Level 4
I like it because 1. they look snazzy, 2. it makes people focus on me before other people which makes me stronger as a player (and is sort of a class role of sorts when I'm playing heavy) and 3. massive f2p jelly

also has some minor benefits, you can see any spy disguised as you instantly
I like hats.

#14: Re: Ask me about hats.
Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:03 pm 
Madlord
Level 9
Total Points: 1781 points
Next Level: 2000 points
(Sud)
I like it because 1. they look snazzy, 2. it makes people focus on me before other people which makes me stronger as a player (and is sort of a class role of sorts when I'm playing heavy) and 3. massive f2p jelly

also has some minor benefits, you can see any spy disguised as you instantly

That last nugget, especially when you have a rare effect, makes it totally worth it.
Are the servers fucked? For the love of god, let me know.
I can probably fix them. Maybe.
In fact, I might already know they are fucked.

#15: Re: Ask me about hats.
Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:06 pm 
The Unknown
Level 6
When and how did you get your first unusual?

Search for:
Jump to: